Download this Episode
You can download this episode as a standalone MP3 file:
- Design Festival Podcast #13: David Airey on Freelancing (MP3, 43:59, 42.2 MB)
- Intro: David and his career
- Career paths, freelancing, and finding your niche through specialization
- Finding, approaching, and securing new clients
- Performing pro bono publico work and its benefits
- Becoming an author, self-publishing and going through publishers
- Pre-fetching data to improve responsiveness — inspiration from the Flash days?
- Doing it all again — things we’d do differently
- Opening your own studio?
- Tips for aspiring designers: do it because you love it and do it with humility — mottos to live by
- Show close
The intro and outro music this week is by Reznor again, with Track 12 from Ghosts, the fantastic Creative Commons-licensed instrumental 36-track album by Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails).
We’re a tad behind on the transcripts. They’ll be updated soon and added soon!
- Design Festival Podcast #10: Elliot Jay Stocks on 8 Faces and more
- Design Festival Podcast #9: Design for Mobile Apps and Websites
- Design Festival Podcast #7: Setting Standards-Friendly Web Type (Part 2)
- DesignFestival Podcast #11 — The Age of Responsive Design
- David Airey’s Tips for Logo Design