Welcome back everyone! I caught up with SitePoint lead designer Alex Walker and master of the “Cicada Principle” to have a chat about limitations and banalities of CSS3 gradients and where SVG backgrounds could suitably replace them.
Download this Episode
You can download this episode as a standalone MP3 file:
- Design Festival Podcast #14: CSS3 Gradients or SVG Backgrounds (MP3, 01:03:44, 62.3 MB)
- Intro: Graphically, CSS3 is awesome — rounded corners, shadows, transformations, …
- However CSS3 gradients are a bit unwieldy — rudimentary linear or radial gradients, bothersome syntax, varying support across the browsers, …
- Alternative? Maybe use SVGs?
- What is SVG
- How do you use it, browser support, usage with CSS, …
- Creating SVGs — Inkscape, Aviary’s Raven, Adobe CS, SVG-edit, …
- The merits
- Banter about cool use ideas
- Show close
- Recommendations of the Week
- SVG-edit on code.google.com
- Aviary’s Raven
- dev.w3.org CSS Working Group — CSS3 Images § 5. Gradients
Recommendations of the Week
- Alex: Nicolas Gallagher’s (insane!) GUI icons done in… just CSS. Wow.
- Pascal: Oli Studholme’s personal markup and CSS and content style guide for his personal site. Pure awesome.
The intro music is from track two, the album-title track from Kräma’s After the Rain album. I’ve been absolutely rockin’ out to this album this past week. Kräma are a progressive-psy/trance duo-group from Greece, and I’m finding their sounds in the prog-psy genre really quite unique. If you like progressive trance or psy make sure you check them out. (They’re signed up with Spin Twist Records who’ve consistently released awesome stuff… yes I am a bit of an electronica nutter.)
En route — working through a backlog.
- Design Festival Podcast #13: David Airey on Freelancing
- Design Festival Podcast #12: ZURB, jQuery UI, and Charlie The Unicorn
- Design Festival Podcast #7: Setting Standards-Friendly Web Type (Part 2)
- Design Festival Podcast #9: Design for Mobile Apps and Websites
- Design Festival Podcast #10: Elliot Jay Stocks on 8 Faces and more